EVO 1,2,3 Vents

General related discussions.

Moderators: Admins, Mod Squad

EVO 1,2,3 Vents

Postby bluebanana » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Well im still looking for some used ones and i recently joined 4gtuner and they seem to have some atm and im planning on putting all 3, so the questions are:
1)Pressurization of engine bay? what so bad about it? and the 2 two center vents just... vent not force air in but would the side intake vent thing let quite a bit of air in?
2)Should i be looking for genuine evo vents or copy fiberglass? ive found some fiberglass vents cheap but there cracked and im thinking that if i buy some alright ones that then they will crack after a while.
3)Do fiberglass vents have a tendency to crack?
4)I know that the evo had little slot things that it sat into but would i just have to sikaflex it or something?
5)I think that the evo also had some head shield thing under the vents, do i need them or not? i thought they help stop the rain from coming in.
it would be cool if i could somehow get the budge on the bonnet as well but i dont think so :|
bluebanana
Can't stop Cruising

Re: EVO 1,2,3 Vents

Postby snowdevl » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:16 pm

bluebanana wrote:Well im still looking for some used ones and i recently joined 4gtuner and they seem to have some atm and im planning on putting all 3, so the questions are:
1)Pressurization of engine bay? what so bad about it? and the 2 two center vents just... vent not force air in but would the side intake vent thing let quite a bit of air in?
2)Should i be looking for genuine evo vents or copy fiberglass? ive found some fiberglass vents cheap but there cracked and im thinking that if i buy some alright ones that then they will crack after a while.
3)Do fiberglass vents have a tendency to crack?
4)I know that the evo had little slot things that it sat into but would i just have to sikaflex it or something?
5)I think that the evo also had some head shield thing under the vents, do i need them or not? i thought they help stop the rain from coming in.
it would be cool if i could somehow get the budge on the bonnet as well but i dont think so :|

I'd look for genuine vents. Not a fan of fibreglass. It might crack/chip over time, or not - depending on quality I guess, but i've noticed with most of the fibreglass Evo bonnets here, the vent's aren't actually vent's, they don't have holes in them lol.

I have a set of Evo vents here that I might get around to fitting one day, but from the looks of it to get a flush fit you'd have to cut the bonnet frame, which will affect the strength of your bonnet. If you don't cut them the vents will sit slightly raised.

The shield under the vents does help prevent rain coming in. My mate removed his and his engine bay gets dirty pretty quick, but it would probably make the vents a bit more 'effective' I guess

I'd like to get the bonnet bulge too, but to be honest I don't know how it would look on our cars. I've measured up my mates one on his Evo and from what I can see it will almost literally go from the front to the back of our bonnets, might look a bit outta proportion. I think the only proper way to do it would be to butcher a genuine Evo bonnet for one, i know someone who had a fibreglass Evo 6 vent moulded onto one of these cars and it started cracking around the edges after a while.
snowdevl
Boostin' hard

Postby bluebanana » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:36 pm

snowdevl wrote:i know someone who had a fibreglass Evo 6 vent moulded onto one of these cars and it started cracking around the edges after a while.

thanks heaps and yeah thats why i dont wanna get one molded on, should i be looking for shield as well if i can pick it up cheap? as for the bulge i was thinking that you would have to cover the two lines on the bonnet somehow and then i thought that it could be possible to make one out of some sort of metal and make it and weld it all together but it wouldn't be made going off the evo measurements cause like you said it would be to big so it would have to be a smaller version, lol i don't know if its a good idea or not but i think it would look so good. anyway how much are genuine vents worth?
bluebanana
Can't stop Cruising

Postby killa » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:03 pm

I just fitted some genuine EVO 0 vents to my Cyborg 8)

killa
Still fine tuning

Postby bluebanana » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:56 am

thanks heaps, but how were they stuck down? sorry but whats an evo 0?
bluebanana
Can't stop Cruising

Postby killa » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:48 pm

An EVO 0 is a version of the Galant VR4

I made up mounting brackets and welded them to the inner frame so he vents bolt in like they would have from the factory(well similar)

I didnt cut the frame so that it wouldnt be defectable.
88 cyborg
killa
Still fine tuning

Postby bluebanana » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:58 am

what did you cut it with cause thats a really good cut. I don't think that the evo 1,2,3 ones bolt on tho :(
bluebanana
Can't stop Cruising

Postby snowdevl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:03 am

bluebanana wrote: I don't think that the evo 1,2,3 ones bolt on tho :(

Nah, with the Evo 1-3 ones, the vent 'fins' go below the base of the vent, if that makes sense, the fins would sit on the bonnet frame and the vents would be raised. I'd get a photo for you but they're buried under a pile of crap in the shed :roll: :oops:

Wish I could find a pair of Evo 0 vents, they're not as common as the Evo ones unfortunately
snowdevl
Boostin' hard

Postby bluebanana » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:16 am

how do you know if there genuine?
bluebanana
Can't stop Cruising

Postby snowdevl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:37 am

Genuine vents will be plastic, non genuine will be fibreglass/carbon fibre etc
snowdevl
Boostin' hard

Postby killa » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:30 am

Yeah the vents do sit slightly lower then the edge of the vent so i had to reshape the frame a little to allow clearance. Evo 3 may sit even lower tho.

I cut it with a cut off wheel in a grinder.
88 cyborg
killa
Still fine tuning

Postby bluebanana » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:35 pm

snowdevl wrote:Genuine vents will be plastic, non genuine will be fibreglass/carbon fibre etc

how do you tell?
Thanks
bluebanana
Can't stop Cruising

Postby to4garret » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 pm

bluebanana wrote:
snowdevl wrote:Genuine vents will be plastic, non genuine will be fibreglass/carbon fibre etc

how do you tell?
Thanks

you might want to be a bit more specific, it seems like you are asking a question that has already been answered.

or do you want to know how to tell the difference between plastic/fibreglass and carbon firbe?
All the lag of a GT42, power of a 16G! 205kw atw!
to4garret
Site Admin

Postby bluebanana » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:24 pm

yeah i want to know how to tell the difference between.
bluebanana
Can't stop Cruising

Postby killa » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:00 am

Genuine vents will have a mitsi part number on the back of them! It will be raised very clear and sharp edged.

Good copy fiberglass may also have this but it will be alot morw rounded and harder to see as when the mold then its hard to keep this number sharp.

Very poor (cheap fiberglass vent probably wont have anything at all.
88 cyborg
killa
Still fine tuning

Postby bluebanana » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:53 am

thanks, only other thing i heard about and didn't know is what is pressurization of the engine bay? and what are the bad effects?
bluebanana
Can't stop Cruising

Postby killa » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:21 pm

Don't know what pressurization of the the engine bay is? Anyone??

All the vents do is allow some of the air that comes in through the front passing through the radiator & A/C condenser an exit point usually above the exhaust manifold/turbo to help keep the turbo/manifold temperature down a few degrees. Also lowering the entire engine bays temp by a few degrees.

Some guys simply use long bolts and place spacer between the hinge and the bonnet allowing air to escape at the rear of the bonnet.
88 cyborg
killa
Still fine tuning

Postby bluebanana » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 am

should i also get the heat shields that go under the vent??
bluebanana
Can't stop Cruising

Postby mrcyborg » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:29 pm

the pressurising is only when you put a scoop on and force air into the engine bay, like wrx style.
1990 lancer gsr 2 door hatch, well modded 4g61t for sale
1987 mirage cyborg sedan,import AWD, with evo 2lt engine, Front center and rear mech LSD, OS giken twin plate, hyper sport b16g turbo, walbro, ecmlink, big brakes, coil overs and plenty more.
mrcyborg
Forum God

Postby bluebanana » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:44 pm

just out of curiosity, what problems does this cause?
bluebanana
Can't stop Cruising

Postby mrcyborg » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:16 pm

style like evo vents, and any vents at all, only side effect is getting water and crap down them, not much really.
a scoop style on a car not designed to have one (i have seen it happen, but doesnt mean it will). i had a mate years ago that thought it was cool to put a wrx scoop on his cb lancer, it forces air into the engine bay and can add a pressure and slow the airflow through the radiator and intercooler too i guess, my mate had issues with over heating while cruzing pretty much anything over 40kmh, 60 to 70 was the worse.
1987 mirage cyborg sedan,import AWD, with evo 2lt engine, Front center and rear mech LSD, OS giken twin plate, hyper sport b16g turbo, walbro, ecmlink, big brakes, coil overs and plenty more.
mrcyborg
Forum God

Postby bluebanana » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:41 pm

thanks, will water effect the engine? there shouldn't be much that goes in anyway unless is heavy rain.
bluebanana
Can't stop Cruising

Postby mrcyborg » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:44 pm

not really no, very little goes in. extreme worse case if you had heavy heavy rain or cold water poured in there, and no manifold shields on exhaust it could crack it, but would be extreme.
mrcyborg
Forum God

Postby bluebanana » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:41 pm

yeah i was thinking about the manifold possibly cracking but very unlikely, what about the third vent thats really open and the air box and fuse box thats underneath. Wouldn't heaps of water come in??
bluebanana
Can't stop Cruising

Postby mrcyborg » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:38 pm

never heard of to many problems with the evo guys.

my bro has a gtir, and has had very minor problems with water getting in, and they have a bloody huge scoop.
mrcyborg
Forum God

Next

Return to General Chat